Friday, January 4, 2019

The Passing of a Friend

My friend Joni passed away from ovarian cancer a couple hours ago. She was just 44 years old. She was married with four kids. (Ages 12 to about 20 or 21.) We had been friends for about 16 years.

My heart is hurting. I will miss talking and laughing with her. I keep breaking down crying, even when I think I've cried all I can. But as much as I'm hurting, I know her family is hurting so much worse. I just cannot even imagine sitting by her side and waiting for her to either miraculously get better or to pass. Chemo and treatments weren't working anymore and she decided to stop and bring in hospice until it was over.

We thought she might live a few more weeks. Then things took a turn for the worse and we thought maybe another week, if that. Then the nurses said she might live 72 more hours. But she only lived a few more hours.

We (me and our group of friends) knew it was almost over and we waited with dread. Then we got the news a little after 12:30 AM that she was gone. (She lives on the west coast, so she passed a few hours before midnight on January 3rd.) And though we knew it was coming, it hurt so much. I've "ugly cried" a few times in the past couple hours. Her passing was expected, if God didn't give her a miracle, but still hard to believe.


Goodbye, my friend. Gone too soon. You will never be forgotten.


ETA: My two favorite paintings that Joni painted.

Dandelions.






~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
~*~Nocturnal Queen~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Signature colors are two of her favorites - teal and pink. Her other favorite was coral.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

Sweet post. I cried since she told us back in November that the treatment wasn't working and a time or two since then. I thought I had most of it out of my system and was "resigned" to it.

Then I saw the news this morning. I went to bed after seeing Josh's post about 72 hours, and woke up and saw Sassy's message to our group. She must have passed away within an hour after I went to bed (11:45-ish EST).

It really has hit hard today. I cried a lot this morning. I'd be fine for a while and then fresh tears. Especially since there are several sweet tributes on Facebook so I see her face and think she is no longer in this world.

She was a great friend, a good person. We will miss her.

Thanks for writing this.